[CMake] Supported configurations with Visual Studio builds

Sylvain Benner benner at virtools.com
Mon Oct 8 11:58:55 EDT 2007

> What about the debug/optimized flags for TARGET_LINK_LIBARIES()?  Do
> these work right now by taking advantage of the fact that Debug,
> Release, MinSizeRel, and RelWithDebInfo are hardcoded?
>

> Also, judging by code in cmLocalVisualStudio7Generator.cxx any custom
> build solutions that you would added would probably only work as release
> libraries:
>
>     if(strcmp(configName, "Debug") == 0
>        || strcmp(configName, "RelWithDebInfo") == 0)
>       {
>       fout << "\t\t\t\tGenerateDebugInformation=\"TRUE\"\n";
>       }

I second this.

We had to "upgrade" the cmTarget sources to add the new configuration
type and then use the LINK_LIBRARIES command correctly. Actually this is
the only thing that prevent us from defining new configuration types
without hardcoding anything, configuration types merely never change so
this is not an annoying thing for us, but this is a big blocking issue
if you want to add this feature in a release.

For the second thing, we added new entires in the flag map of the
generator :

cmVS7FlagTable cmLocalVisualStudio7GeneratorMPLinkerFlagTable[] =

   {"GenerateDebugInformation",   "DEBUG",     "Generate Debug
Info",       "TRUE"},
   {"GenerateDebugInformation",   "NODEBUG",   "Don't Generate Debug
Info", "FALSE"},

--Sylvain