[CMake] make uninstall for project consisting of large number of sub-projects

Crni Gorac cgorac at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 04:03:46 EDT 2007

We have a dozen sub-projects (libraries and executables), each of them
with its individual CMakeLists.txt file, as well as "top-level"
CMakeLists.txt file for the whole project that makes it possible
(trough using ADD_SUBDIRECTORY()) to build all sub-projects at once.
Now, we'd like to have "make uninstall" support across the whole
thing, so we did it (for each sub-project, and then for the project as
a whole) according to CMake FAQ
(http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ#Can_I_do_.22make_uninstall.22_with_CMake.3F).
 However, since install_manifest.txt file (that above described
de-installation method is based upon) is generated only in the
directory where "make install" command is issued, it is now not
possible to say accomplish "make install" for the whole project, and
then go to specific sub-project directory and issue "make uninstall"
only for this sub-project installed files.  So - is there any way to
accomplish this (this would be rather convenient for us, because
different developers are working on different sub-projects), or is
there some other way to accomplish something alike?

Thanks.