[CMake] Can "Make help" be set less verbose?

Atwood, Robert C r.atwood at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Oct 2 13:40:14 EDT 2007

Yes, that will help eventually and I had not thought of it. Thanks.

But, due to entrenchment of the existing directory layout through ages
of revision control it is not entirely trivial however

(Yes I am following the current thread on SVN mailing list about
people's favourite repository layouts! Hopefully I will learn something)

Just now, we're using a one-branch-per-student layout with periodic
merging into the trunk when someone's project is working, and merging
from my trunk when a change affecting all is needed. I'd like to get all
using Cmake together, it's easiest to add one file (CMakeLists.txt) and
ask everyone to copy it to their branch, than get everyone to move all
files down one directory layer in the repository. But, perhaps that's
lazy. But on the third hand, I need to see if it really works for people
while keeping the existing build system intact. I have little doubt and
based on my experience so far, I plan to insist before too long, at that
time we could reorganise the directory a bit as well.

The help thing is not a show stopper, just a minor inconvenience. Mostly
people will only issue 'make' at that point, occasionally 'make clean'
My old system (using plain Makefile, not auto-tools) provides 'make
debug' and its own separate deb-obj directory, but that would now be
done via cmake_build_type .