[CMake] Can "Make help" be set less verbose?

Atwood, Robert C r.atwood at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Oct 2 12:28:58 EDT 2007

I observe that when using cmake, they do indeed go into a deterministic
loaction, that is
CMakeFiles/{projectname}.dir/

Actually, the .o targets almost always exist when using plain make,
gnumake, and similar, depending upon the 'default rules' that nobody
ever tells you about ;-/

> How about doing this?
> make help | grep -v '\.[sio]$'

Heh heh.

How about:

 awk '/:/ && !/\.[ois]/ {print}' Makefile
Or the ever-unpopular:
 vi Makefile
? I had enough of that stuff from years of NOT using Cmake!

(lecture warning :-() ) As for your suggestion, I believe it defeats the
purpose of a nice funciton like 'make help'. I am working on projects
with many other people, some less familiar with shell scripting and
other platform-specific utilities than others. I would prefer not to
provide instructions such as that given in your suggestion, or my
countersuggestions, in my documentation of how to get started
participating in the project. In fact, the 'make help' would mostly get
used when they have forgotten or lost my instructions anyways, to remind
them of the important target(s). If it were just me, maybe that would be
ok, but then I wouldn't need 'make help' anyways! Of course what I
suggest would be an option and the full listing should still be
available. I was just kidding about 'Nobody wants to know...' (End
lecture 8-() )

Robert