[CMake] CMake with Lua Experiment

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 13:36:20 EST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 12:37 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery at gmail.com> wrote:
> We all have our points of view about how important various
> things are.  Alexander has gone on record as anti-complexity; he
> Considers Programming Harmful in a build system.  I don't agree with
> him; I figure if I need scope today, perhaps I'll need OO or FP 5
> years from now.

It occurs to me, furthermore, that CMake is a self-selecting community
for discussing the issue.  CMake doesn't have fancy programming
capabilities.  So, if that's a dealbreaker for someone, they probably
won't stick around.  The people who do stick around, are likely to
tell newcomers that a lack of programming capabilities is just fine.
This culture is enforced by the technology.  CMake is a fairly
successful build system, and so is Autoconf, so maybe there's
something to be said for this culture.  But it is a culture, and it's
probably better to solicit perspectives outside the culture.
Consequently, I'm starting to ask around on more general purpose build
engineering lists, about what value they see in OO or other
programming constructs.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every