[CMake] CMake with Lua Experiment

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Wed Nov 28 03:40:57 EST 2007

Quoting Brandon Van Every <bvanevery at gmail.com>:

>> Talking about Ruby, could someone please paste his wishlist about
>> variable scoping for CMake? (ie what would you like to add: local
>> variables which die when you exit the loop, file-scoped variables,
>> directory-scoped variables, project-scoped variables, what?). It's
>> quite difficult to fix a problem we have not properly defined (at
>> least, I have never seen a proper wishlist about this).
>
> I just want scope, i.e. I don't want global variable names crapping
> all over each other.  I don't care about any fancy dancy Computer
> Science ways of adding extra programmatic features.  Other people may
> see heavy duty OO or tweaky FP constructs as beneficial for their
> build system.  At present I don't.  But there's clearly a need for
> more structure than CMake script has got.  As far as I'm concerned the
> fancy dancy stuff is just an artifact of the embedded language that
> you get "for free," whether it's Lua, Ruby, or Python.  None of that
> has been enough to propel SCons into the limelight.
>
> We already had the extended discussion about possible CMake scope
> implementations, so I'm not understanding what you're asking.  I
> assumed that Kitware is ready to act when they have time to do so.
> Did you miss that discussion?  Did it leave you with a bunch of
> unresolved questions?  If so, I'd suggest going back into the archive
> and responding to specific things you're unclear about.

Do you mean these threads?
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2005-March/006235.html
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2005-June/006725.html

If that is so, yes, I guess I missed them (I was not using CMake back
then :-). If you are talking about a different thread, could you
please tell me which one?

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org