[CMake] CMake with Lua Experiment

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Mon Nov 26 18:03:49 EST 2007

Quoting Ken Martin <ken.martin at kitware.com>:

> Just heading down this path as an experiment to get a better feel for it.
> Posted a snapshot of the source code on the Wiki
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Experiments_With_Lua The biggest issues I
> see are 1) keeping two languages around sounds like more work and who needs
> more work  2) variables in lua are not variables in CMake and vice versa.
> The cm_configure_file command only configures cmake variables, this could be
> a good thing in one sense :)

I do not mean to be rude, but please scrap it. Or make Lua the only
language allowed in CMake. But having two languages is going to be bad
because in the end, we will need to know and at least be able to
understand two languages as there will be CMakeLists.txt,
FindXXXX.cmake, etc files in both languages.

Before Lua is added as a language to CMake, I'd like to ask a
question: is there really a need for Lua (or any other language) or is
the current CMake scripting Turing-complete and able to do anything
which could be done with Lua?

Please note I'm not against Lua but only against having to know two languages.

Thank you.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org