[CMake] QtDialog isn't installed?

Hendrik Sattler post at hendrik-sattler.de
Wed Nov 21 10:27:40 EST 2007

Quoting Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>:

> Brandon Van Every wrote:
>>> I would suggest making clear reference to the exception in the
>>> QtDialog source code.  So that (1) some Linux distro ninny doesn't
>>> come along later and erroneously "discover that CMake source is in
>>> non-compliance," and (2) third parties are aware of the additional
>>> obligations they'll have to fulfill if they want to reuse the QtDialog
>>> code.
>>
>> On second thought, before providing such a notice, it's best to get
>> CMake into that list of license exceptions.
>> http://trolltech.com/products/qt/gplexception  Otherwise, CMake would
>> be calling attention to a license condition that, pedantically
>>
> What we plan to do is use a pure BSD license, and remove the extra line
> that is currently in the CMake license.  That way there is no trouble.
> With the qt exception, you can link all you want, you just can not
> develop.

But the same applies to both: changes not push upstream and changes
that get pushed upstream. Since the original is BSD licensed and I add
e.g. new functionality to it, I either:
  - need a commercial license to distribute the result as BSD licensed
again , or
  - have to distribute the result as GPL licensed.

Is the latter actually possible? Not from my understanding of this.
So I am allowed to link against the GPL version of Qt but I cannot
modify it and distribute the result.
Since the DFSG was mentioned already: it would go to non-free on
Debian, I guess.
If the above is true, what about dual-licensing it? A modified version
could then distributed GPL licensed and others can choose BSD license
for unmodified versions.

HS

PS: no, I don't actually care for the GPL but I care about cmake
staying in Debian main.