[CMake] QtDialog isn't installed?

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva miguelf at ieee.org
Tue Nov 20 09:02:10 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 9:36 AM, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Hendrik Sattler wrote:
>
> >> Anyway, the GPL stuff still stands.
> >
> > Why don't you make the Qt dialog source GPL, then?
> > With those restrictions, some Linux distributions will either strip the
> > Qt dialog from the source or move whole cmake to an unofficial
> > repository. Allowing everyone to change the source code (and distribute
> > the result) is greatly preferred.
> >

> People can change it all they want, it just won't get accepted upstream.
>    I don't want to be forced to accept a license that I don't agree
> with.  BTW, qt itself has the same sort of license.  Trolltech does not
> accept changes from the community other than small bug fixes.  This is
> so they can maintain the dual license that they have.  I don't think
> there are linux distros that have stopped distribution of Qt are there?

My view on licences is that I hate them ;) I think that they are one
of those things that have to be taken care of, but in the end is
completely secondary...

Anyway, although I'm definitely no expert on this topic, the QtDialog
source is a very small part of the CMake sources. So, I would
definitely not change a licencing decision based on it. Also, as far
as I'm concerned, the QtDialog development started the other day and
it is basically finished... it's very useful and great to have, but it
is just a GUI interface to access the CMake functionality. That is to
say, I don't think it will need major developer time after it
stabilizes.

So, the community should be able to live with only submitting bug
reports now and then, without the need to fork CMake, ban it from
distributions, etc. ;)

Just my two cents,
--Miguel