[CMake] INSTALL destination directories

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 15:24:08 EST 2007

--
Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer

On Nov 14, 2007, at 3:19 PM, Stephen Collyer wrote:

> This is an INSTALL example copied from the wiki:
>
> INSTALL(TARGETS ExecutableTarget StaticLibraryTarget
> SharedLibraryTarget
>   RUNTIME DESTINATION bin
>   LIBRARY DESTINATION lib
>   ARCHIVE DESTINATION lib
> )
>
> 1. I assume that cmake automatically knows (somehow) to associate
> ExecutableTarget with the RUNTIME DESTINATION and similarly for
> the library targets. Is that right ?

EXECUTABLE targets imply runtime.
Library (Shared/Dynamic) -> Library
Library (static)-> Archive

> 2. I guess the bin and lib directories are relative to something,
> but it's not clear to me what that place is. Is it the directory
> where the topmost CMakeList.txt file lives ?

Relative to ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}, which is set when you run ccmake
or CMakeSetup. The user can set this to what ever they want. It
defaults to /usr/local on Unix and C:\Program Files\Name of Project
on Windows