[CMake] Cmake on Leopard wtih Xcode2.5

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 13:43:50 EST 2007

Just adding some more information:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/xcode-users/2007/Oct/msg00690.html

and also

<http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/DeveloperTools/RN-
XcodePrevious/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001436-
DontLinkElementID_3>

there is a command line tool called xcode-select that can be used to
determine the path to the currently selected version of Xcode, BUT
this is ONLY installed with Xcode 3.0. Apple does support the
environment variable "DEVELOPER_DIR" for some things but I have not
determined if this is supported by Xcode 2.5. I think some additions
to the Darwin.cmake module to take into account some of these items
may have to be performed. The big thing here is that if you install
ONLY Xcode 2.5 on LEOPARD, then you have to use something like '/
Xcode2.5/usr/bin/make' to invoke 'make' or put /Xcode2.5/usr/bin/ on
your PATH variable first, as you have already done.

Hope some of this helps.
--
Mike Jackson
imikejackson & gmail * com

On Nov 11, 2007, at 1:12 PM, Mike Jackson wrote:

> Here is some more information gleaned from the Xcode 2.5 release
> notes.
>   When installed on OS X 10.4 (Tiger), Xcode 2.5 continues to be
> installed in /Developer and other places as usual. I am assuming
> CMake should continue to run just fine and find the frameworks just
> fine also.
>    On OS X 10.5 Leopard, the DEFAULT installation location for
> Xcode 2.5 is /Xcode2.5 and all frameworks, binaries and support
> files are located _within_ this Directory. So things like 'make'
> and autotools type stuff is located in /Xcode2.5/usr/bin. This
> would be a good default for CMake to look for things in. Although
> the user has the choice of changing the installation directory.
>
> I am going to ask in the Xcode-users mailing list about some way to
> detect _where_ the user has things installed. I also thought there
> was a command line tool to switch between Xcode versions but I am
> not finding anything about it in the release notes.
>
> --
> Mike Jackson
> imikejackson & gmail * com
>

> On Nov 11, 2007, at 12:33 PM, Mike Jackson wrote:
>
>> This is because Apple now supports loading the developer tools
>> where ever you want them instead of always in /Developer. This is
>> going to  play havoc with Cmake because I am assuming CMake is
>> hard coded to look in /Developer for the dev tools. I wonder if
>> there is an environment variable that can be set to indicate where
>> the dev tools are installed. CMake could then use that environment
>> variable to figure out which Dev tools you want to use. Apple did
>> this because they also now support multiple versions of the Dev
>> tools on a single system. For instance, in Leopard (OS X 10.5) you
>> can have both Xcode 3.0 and Xcode 2.5 installed.
>>
>>   Is there anything in the release notes in Xcode 2.5 about
>> setting environment variables for each version of Xcode?
>>
>> --
>> Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer
>> Innovative Management & Technology Services
>>

>> On Nov 10, 2007, at 4:43 PM, Chris Garrett wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just started using Leopard with Xcode2.5. I do not have
>>> Xcode3.0 installed yet. When running cmake on Leopard I found I
>>> had to do the following:
>>>
>>> 1. Make /Xcode2.5/usr/bin first on the path
>>>
>>> 2. Edit CMakeCache.txt file and change the following:
>>>
>>> CMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING=-isysroot /Xcode2.5/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
>>> CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING=-isysroot /Xcode2.5/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk