[CMake] Re: regex ^ does not anchor against the original string

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 18:01:51 EDT 2007

On Nov 1, 2007 7:48 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery at gmail.com> wrote:
> ^ doesn't anchor against the original input string.  It anchors
> against the string as it is processed!  If replacements cause the
> string to have a new beginning, it anchors against the new beginning.
> I want to say that's a bug.  Do other regex gurus agree, or have I
> just not gone up the learning curve sufficiently?

Perl does not exhibit this behavior, so I've filed a bug.
http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=5999
Nobody said CMake is Perl, but Perl regexes are a good baseline for
"sanity" of regex behavior.  I think a ^ anchor should be respected,
and to re-evaluate it "while the string is processed" renders it
meaningless.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every