[CMake] improve the CMake language?

Olivier Delannoy olivier.delannoy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 14:26:11 EDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Olivier Delannoy <olivier.delannoy at gmail.com>
Date: Nov 2, 2007 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: [CMake] improve the CMake language?
To: Ken Martin <ken.martin at kitware.com>

Lua has developed something which can be used to change the syntax of
the language (syntax not semantic). This might for example allow a
cmake script to be translated during the parsing stage, made by lua
parser, of the document into a lua program equivalent. I haven't used
it might self so I don't know how much work it means but if a
scripting language is to be used to replace CMake language, Lua and
its tokens filtering can be used to ensure backward compatibility
quite easly without needing the maintenance of two language at the
same time.

On 11/2/07, Ken Martin <ken.martin at kitware.com> wrote:
> I have looked at incorporating Lua into CMake as an alternate language. Lua
> because it is designed to be embedded into projects as a language, not a
> toolkit and it is tiny and well documented, so adding it to the CMake tree
> would be a no brainer. Things like Python, Tcl, Java etc are much larger and
> tend to drag in a lot of extra things a language does not need. (I think I
> have a CMake tree lying around that includes Lua and links it in) Having
> said that, even though CMake has a pretty clean divide between
> commands/language and the rest of the work, it is still a fairly big task.
> The easiest solution being to support both languages (CMake plus Lua) so
> that all the Modules and Platform files can continue to be used. Having said
> all this it is a low priority for me as I am still not sure of the
> practicality and net benefits of it. etc.
>
> Ken
>
> Ken Martin PhD
> Kitware Inc.
> 28 Corporate Drive