[CMake] improve the CMake language?

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 09:02:28 EDT 2007

2007/11/2, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com>:
> Existing CMake "plugin" :
> EXECUTE_PROCESS(COMMAND tclsh "$ENV{HOME}/myTclScript.tcl" OUTPUT_VARIABLE
> ov RESULT_VARIABLE rv)

Yes you are right I can do that.

> You are responsible for making sure tclsh is callable for your project's
> users...

That why I would tell explicitly I want to use TCL/python...
CMAKE_LOAD_PLUGIN(TCL)

But again I may do it with some CMake MACRO.

> Because there is such diversity out there and people have so many varied
> opinions of which language would be ideal to use, CMake *already provides*
> the ability to shell out to any script processor you would like.

I agree on this, no single language may suits everyone's need or taste.

> CMake's -P scripting ability is actually quite powerful for what it is right
> now, though with its own quirks, and incremental improvements are bound to
> come over time, but...

Regarding CMake scripting you end-up with the choice
of adding Feature to CMake or decide it's better to escape to
perl,python, tcl ...

> ...in the mean time, just use whatever scripting languauge you want. Make
> macros that demonstrate how to run scripts at configure time and at build
> time with your favorite script processor and submit them to the Wiki for
> others to benefit from if you feel so inclined.

OK I will do that.

--
Erk