[CMake] improve the CMake language?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Nov 1 22:06:04 EDT 2007

Sanchez, Juan wrote:
> Tcl is a nice language for implementing declarative commands.  It can be
> easily built on about every platform out there, and the language rules
> are well known.  It is small, and very easy to compile a standalone Tcl
> based interpreter with the CMake commands built in.  The user would not
> need to have any language installed, you could package the source with
> CMake or make it part of the cmake binary you distribute.  It is freely
> distributable and has a BSD license.

We are not doing CMake in Tcl!

We specifically avoided it at the start.  From what I can tell it is
declining, and the compile a standalone thing was never that easy, and
we (Kitware) have plenty of experience with tcl.  Please don't bother to
refute this ...  ( I am ranting a bit).  CMake would require Tcl to
build, right now it only needs C++, and I aim to keep it that way.

I will say this.  Unless someone is going to fork CMake, I do not think
there will be a new language.  I guess I should just stay on the side
lines until the current "change the language thread" is over... SIGH...

-Bill