[CMake] CPack Questions and Issues

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Sun May 20 10:00:11 EDT 2007

2007/5/20, Stuart Herring <cmake at stuartherring.com>:
> I've been experimenting with CPack, and I've come up with the
> following questions and issues -
>
> * Is there a way of producing multiple packages (one for each
> Component specified in INSTALL)  in a single project?  I ended up
> having to write a custom target that ran cpack directly, and not
> bother with INCLUDE(CPack) at all.

Don't know but it would be an interesting feature even if
in my case I would prefer to chose the set of packages with
a kind of "subproject" or "subpackage" and not one package for one install.

Nevertheless I don't know if CMake+CPack support this but it
seems doable as custom CMake MACROs set.

> * When are the Welcome, Description and Readme files used?

Don't know.

> * The NSIS generator ignores most of the variables you'd think it
> would use, and instead appears to use the
> CPACK_PACKAGE_INSTALL_DIRECTORY variable for everything, including the
> name of the product. I'm sure that can't be right.

We use NSIS installer without the trouble you seems to have,
could you tell us what are "the variables you'd think it would use"?

Do you
INCLUDE(CPack)
BEFORE or AFTER
setting your custom CPACK_xxx variables?

If you look at CPack.cmake you'll see that some variables
(if not all) are defined by CPack.cmake iff they were not defined:

cpack_set_if_not_set(CPACK_NSIS_DISPLAY_NAME
"@CPACK_PACKAGE_INSTALL_DIRECTORY@")

--
Erk