[CMake] Eclipse CDT and CMake

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Sat May 12 13:16:30 EDT 2007

On May 12, 2007, at 4:19 AM, Eric Noulard wrote:

> 2007/5/11, Mike Jackson <imikejackson at gmail.com>:
>>
>> <shameless plug> I actually use Eclipse with the CDT plugin to do
>> VTK/Qt C++
>> development on the Mac. Combined with CMake and a few changes to
>> the default
>> Eclipse settings is a great combination</shameless plug>
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Would you be kind enough to add a Wiki entry describing how you
> use Eclipse CDT + CMake?
>
> I'll be interested and I am pretty sure I am not the only one.
>
> As far as I know there is only a "small" item about CMake and Eclipse
> here:
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Editors_Support
>
> I think that the
> the " few changes to the default Eclipse settings is a great
> combination"
> would be interesting for me (and hopefully others).
>
> --
> Erk

Ok. I added a "tutorial" for setting up Eclipse w/CDT for use with
CMake. I hope it is reasonably clear. I could stand to add a few
pictures to the wording to make things more clear but I didn't really
understand how to add pictures to the wiki.

Hope that helps.

BTW. Eclipse 3.3M7 and CDT 4.0RC0 is a nice combination. Still some
"beta" issues left but I use it for everyday programming. The C++
code editor is just phenomenal when it comes to syntax highlighting.
There are now code formatters that are completely customizable so you
can make sure your code adheres to your companies coding guidelines.
    The code-completion in CDT 4.0 is really starting to work well.
There are still some issues with it finding some sources but those
are actively being worked on for the CDT 4.0 release. I have been
able to have CDT index VTK 5.0.3 and have excellent code completion
for VTK methods. Paraview also.

I hope all this helps someone. Just FYI for those interested.
--
Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer