[CMake] Thoughts on Cross-compiling with CMake

Trevor Kellaway tkellaway at asl-electronics.co.uk
Sat May 5 04:18:54 EDT 2007

Kishore,

> OK. Personally, I use KDevelop and do not have first hand
> experience with this kind of use. In past discussions, I
> learnt that it is possible to use the GCC compiler when
> building from VS. The downside being that error parsing won't
> work. So no click-on-error-message to show the relevant source lines.

You need to make the distinction between the different styles of build:

 1) Command line makefile
 2) IDE invoked internal build
 3) IDE invoked external makefile

VC supports all three of these usage patterns for its native compiler.
However, if you want to use a cross-compiler then only options 1 and 3
are available.

We use a combination of 1 and 3. We are now using Eclipse as our IDE and
have this setup to invoke external makefiles, and Eclipse can read and
parse the output from this build, so you can use the error navigation
support to jumps to problems.

VC does support parsing of externally invoked tools, but you have to fit
in with how it expects the error messages to be formatted, this is how
we used to integrate Lint into our VC IDE.

 - TrevK