[CMake] Re: FindSDL.cmake and mingw / msys

E. Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 15:59:42 EST 2007

> The issue I see at the moment is that setting SDL_LIBRARY_TEMP is
> not required by CMakeSetup. So you can finish the "configure" step
> without setting SDL_LIBRARY_TEMP. But if you do so it will not compile
> under Windows. So this should not happen.
>
> So the options to me are:
>
> - initialize SDL_LIBRARY_TEMP with the SDLMAIN_LIBRARY path (removing the
> libsdlmain.a)
> - create a SDL_LIBRARIES_PATH variable to be set with CMakeSetup
> - create a SDL_LIBRARY to be set by the user and a SDL_LIBRARY_FLAGS
> replacing the
>   current SDL_LIBRARY
>
> What do you think?
> --

So I'm concerned about breaking backwards compatibility. I think the
public variables exported are the same ones that have been in use
before I started mucking with things.

As far as the proposed changes, I think I'm missing the big picture.
I'm not sure how removing the libsdlmain.a stuff is helpful. I'm not
sure what SDL_LIBRARIES_PATH will do to help.

SDL_LIBRARY_FLAGS is an interesting idea, but the backwards
compatibility thing bothers me here.

Instead of all of this, what if we simply renamed SDL_LIBRARY_TEMP to
SDL_LIBRARY_BOOTSTRAP or PUT_SDL_LIBRARY_HERE and just document that
the user must fill the value if not found. As for CMakeSetup requiring
values, isn't it already the case that none of these values are
actually required anyway? Isn't that a function of the REQUIRED
parameter of the FIND_PACKAGE command and not the FindSDL script
itself. My expectation is that SDL_LIBRARY_TEMP would complain in this
case.

-Eric