[CMake] Re: 'make test' fails on x86/Solaris

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 16 11:14:52 EST 2007

Bill Hoffman wrote:
> I am not sure everyone would be happy if make test depend on all.   I
> don't think that the typical unix make check will build anything will
> it? The idea was to have the standard:
>
> make
> make test

Shouldn't that be "make check"? :-)
(http://www.cmake.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=4564)

> make install
>
> I guess the downside would be extra depend checking when running tests
> on large projects.

I don't think Alan's comments are at all relevant, as I don't see 'make
all' being in any way related.

If I do 'make' in CMake-2.4.6/Tests/kwsys, it builds the test programs.
If I then do 'make all', it has nothing to do. (But if I do 'make clean
; make test' that fails. That's not a major problem.) If I then do 'make
test', testProcess 4 and 5 fail. But if I run 'ctest' directly, they
pass. The problem is somehow with ctest being invoked by 'make'.

Here is a sample session. Note that the *only* difference is whether or
not ctest is called by make or by the shell...

$ make -n test
/path/to/cmake-2.4.6/bin/cmake -E cmake_echo_color --switch= --cyan
"Running tests..."
/path/to/cmake-2.4.6/bin/ctest --force-new-ctest-process
$ make test
Running tests...
Start processing tests
Test project /path/to/cmake-2.4.6/Tests/kwsys
   1/ 14 Testing kwsys.testSystemTools            Passed
   2/ 14 Testing kwsys.testDynamicLoader          Passed
   3/ 14 Testing kwsys.testProcess-1              Passed
   4/ 14 Testing kwsys.testProcess-2              Passed
   5/ 14 Testing kwsys.testProcess-3              Passed
   6/ 14 Testing kwsys.testProcess-4           ***Failed
   7/ 14 Testing kwsys.testProcess-5           ***Failed
   8/ 14 Testing kwsys.testProcess-6              Passed
   9/ 14 Testing kwsys.testProcess-7              Passed
  10/ 14 Testing kwsys.testHashSTL                Passed
  11/ 14 Testing kwsys.testRegistry               Passed
  12/ 14 Testing kwsys.testCommandLineArguments   Passed
  13/ 14 Testing kwsys.testCommandLineArguments   Passed
  14/ 14 Testing kwsys.testFail                ***Failed - supposed to fail

86% tests passed, 2 tests failed out of 14

The following tests FAILED:
           6 - kwsys.testProcess-4 (Failed)
           7 - kwsys.testProcess-5 (Failed)
Errors while running CTest
make: *** [test] Error 8
$ /path/to/cmake-2.4.6/bin/ctest --force-new-ctest-process
Start processing tests
Test project /path/to/cmake-2.4.6/Tests/kwsys
   1/ 14 Testing kwsys.testSystemTools            Passed
   2/ 14 Testing kwsys.testDynamicLoader          Passed
   3/ 14 Testing kwsys.testProcess-1              Passed
   4/ 14 Testing kwsys.testProcess-2              Passed
   5/ 14 Testing kwsys.testProcess-3              Passed
   6/ 14 Testing kwsys.testProcess-4              Passed
   7/ 14 Testing kwsys.testProcess-5              Passed
   8/ 14 Testing kwsys.testProcess-6              Passed
   9/ 14 Testing kwsys.testProcess-7              Passed
  10/ 14 Testing kwsys.testHashSTL                Passed
  11/ 14 Testing kwsys.testRegistry               Passed
  12/ 14 Testing kwsys.testCommandLineArguments   Passed
  13/ 14 Testing kwsys.testCommandLineArguments   Passed
  14/ 14 Testing kwsys.testFail                ***Failed - supposed to fail

100% tests passed, 0 tests failed out of 14
$ echo $?
0
$ make --version
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i386-pc-solaris2.10
$

--
Matthew
"Have you tried that new mixed drink, 'GDR'"?