[CMake] Re: FIND_PATH / FIND_LIBRARY order

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jun 13 16:37:56 EDT 2007

Bill Hoffman wrote:
> I guess my take is that most system tools like ld and such don't even
> know about /usr/local/lib, so
> why should cmake search there first?

I guess that's true if "most" is measured by number of OS's, counting
e.g. Linux, Solaris, etc as one each. If "most" means Linux, then this
is just plain wrong.

With LD_LIBRARY_PATH unset, ldd on my Linux system reports (as an example):
libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
...which overrides /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1

On Linux, /usr/local takes precedence over /usr unless LD_LIBRARY_PATH
is used to *prevent* that behavior.

--
Matthew
So, an astrophysicist, a quantum physicist, and an astrologer walk into