[CMake] moving project folder

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 05:44:23 EDT 2007

2007/6/8, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery at gmail.com>:
> On 6/8/07, abhijeet mhatre <abhijeetmhatre at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Suppose if I want distribute my project with the source code,
> > CMake files and all, how do I do this? I dont mind regenerating
> > build files using "cmake ." but I dont want to edit the CMakeLists.txt
> > and CMakeCache.txt when I distriubute my project. Is this doable?
>
> You have to run CMake and generate the native build system on each and
> every computer you move your source and CMakeLists.txt to.  Your users
> will have to install CMake and learn how to use CMakeSetup or CCMake,
> which is a pretty trivial learning curve if you've done a good build.
> Nice GUI configuration and all of that.

I agree and I should say that it is acceptable if you give your user
a minimal documentation on how to run CMake and build your project.

We have done it for TSP project (https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/tsp)
you may find corresponding CMake usage documentation in paragraph
"2.3 TSP source installation" of the following document:

http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/tsp/documentations/tsp_programming_tutorial-1.0.pdf

you'll find both screen shots for Windows
and console shots for Unix installation  from source using CMake.

We do not have a huge user base but we had few report of failure
using this scheme. Failure usually comes from yet untested platform
(or IDE version).
--
Erk