[CMake] Eclipse CMake Generator - Pre-Alpha version

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva miguelf at ieee.org
Tue Jul 31 09:51:46 EDT 2007

On 7/31/07, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 July 2007 00:22, Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva wrote:
> > Guidance and support:
> > ================
> >
> > 1. Are the CMake developers interested in this (i.e., will they accept
> > the patches)? If so, how should I coordinate this development. I don't
>
> Yes.
>
> > think patches through the bug tracker will be appropriate for this
> > given the rate of change it is likely to have. Limited cvs access
>
> I would suggest simply send the patches to this mailing list (and maybe CC
> me), I'll apply them as soon as they are somewhat working and don't break the
> CMake coding style.
> It's basically the same as for VTK:
> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_Coding_Standards

Great! If you personally think this is good and can review/apply the
patches relatively quickly then that will work well for me. What I was
worried about was that I open a feature request and, understandably
so, it sits there to be taken care according to everyone's busy
schedule...

I sent the patch to the list last night, but it rejected the e-mail
because it was too big... I'll now clean up the code according to the
coding style and resend with cc to you. This time tared and zipped, so
it shouldn't have a problem.

Now, I want to open a Wiki entry on
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Generator_Specific_Information for
"Eclipse CDT Generator" stating that a generator for Eclipse CDT is in
development with a link to a new page called "Eclipse CDT Generator
Development" for a page that everyone interested in this development
should watch to discuss it. How do I do this to create it in an
appropriate place? Do I need to prefix the name to create it in a
specific subdir for cmake:

[[CMake:Eclipse CDT Generator Development]]

or should I just create the link like:

[[Eclipse CDT Generator Development]]

> > So far, I have modified only cmake.cxx to add the extra generator
> > handle [this->AddExtraGenerator(...)], the CMakeLists.txt file to add
> > the two new files, and the two new files themselves:
> >
> >   Source/cmExtraEclipseGenerator.cxx
> >   Source/cmExtraEclipseGenerator.h
>
> Sounds good.
> Is this for CDT 4.0 or also earlier versions ?
> I think the name should have some more details, like
> cmExtraEclipseCDT4Generator .

I have no idea... I'm working with Eclipse 3.3 CDT 4.0, but I don't
know how much of the xml in the .project/.cproject is backward
compatible. cmExtraEclipseCDT4Generator sounds right though.

> > 2. As I mentioned, I'm new to Eclipse so, I don't know how people use
> > it. I need volunteers to test the generator and let me know what
> > things don't work as expected. Basically, I'm "reverse engineering"
> > the .project/.cproject files to create the generator. So, in many
> > cases I just don't have examples of more complex scenarios.
>
> You could consider joining the cdt-devel mailing list (should be somewhere on
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/CDT), it's a medium traffic list, but I
> can't find the link right now.

I'm way ahead ;) I already did that, thanks for the tip though.

> > Note that this is a simple generator (an extra generator), since it
> > relies on the "Unix Makefiles" generator to handle all the difficult
> > issues. So, I'm not looking to provide a generator for eclipse that
>
> Yes, that's ok.
>
> > will create a managedmakefile project; at least not at this point. I
> > am looking to implement the Eclipse generator on top of the MinGW,
> > MSYS, and maybe NMake (depending on the Eclipse CDT support for it).
>
> Do you know if it is more work than "just" selecting a make parser for Eclipse
> to support the different makes ?

I don't think it is much more than just selecting the appropriate
error/binary parsers and maybe some specific toolchain stuff, but then
again I'm new with in Eclipse...

I did run into the following annoyance, but it is rather another
topic. When I compile the CMake code in Eclipse using the cygwin
tools, then the resulting Eclipse project files are broken. This is
due to the fact that it creates the .project file with the cygwin
cmake (posix paths) and the Eclipse is installed in a Windows
environment un-aware of where /builds is...

If I compile CMake with the VS toolchain (same would probably be true
for MinGW tools) and create the "Eclipse - Unix Makefiles" then there
are no problems with using the files with the cygwin tools.

But of course all of this has to do with why cmake cygwin can't
generate VS projects, but windows cmake can generate "Unix Makefiles"
for cygwin...

--Miguel