[CMake] CPack for making .deb files?

Christian Convey christian.convey at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 21:21:03 EDT 2007

On 7/29/07, Philip D. Lowman <philip at yhbt.com> wrote:
> Christian Convey wrote:
> > Thanks Philip.
> >
> > I noticed that Medhi's DpkgDeb doesn't invoke 'fakeroot', which I
> > thought was necessary for producing good .deb files.  Do you know how
> > he gets away without using fakeroot?
> Christian,
>
> This website seems to indicate that one can define global build options
> that affect all users in the /etc/apt/apt.conf configuration file.  I
> haven't tried this myself, but this may be why his scripts don't invoke
> fakeroot.  Or he may just be building his packages as root :)
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/giles/repository/repository-3.html

Heh - weird.

Now that I know CPack 2.6 is supposed to produce .deb files, I've
decided not to go crazy trying to produce a version of DpkgDeb that
I'm satisfied with.

Instead, I plan to use this temporary solution:

I'll define inside my CMakeList.txt files one install component ( see
"INSTALL(... COMPONENT ...)" ) for each .deb I want to produce.

Then I'll use a shell script like this:
1. make all
2. for each .deb package I want to produce:
   2.1  do a 'make install' specifying that .deb package's install component
   2.2  use the "CONFIGURE" command to build the Debian CONTROL file
   2.3  Use dpkg-deb and lintian to build/test the desired .deb file

- Christian