[CMake] Controlling what "install" does at make-time ?

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 14:11:01 EDT 2007

On 7/26/07, Christian Convey <christian.convey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, I didn't realize that the cmake program did any of the work
> when running 'make'.  I thought 'cmake' was executed only when
> producing (or rebuilding) the Makefiles, and otherwise was completely
> out of the picture when the user invokes 'make'.

Yeah, you get native builds but you're also married to your CMake installation.

In principle there's some kind of "get rid of CMake" mode.  In
practice, nobody uses it, so it's not vetted much, and I wouldn't
expect it to work great.  Pretty much as you work with CMake builds
over time, you realize you really do want CMake hooking back in to do
stuff for you.  So the issue goes away. It's more of a newbie
perception issue ("What??  Why aren't these files standalone??!") or a
corner case for some problem domains ("CMake can't be built on this
device.")

When contracting with a client, I do make it clear that I'm not
providing "standalone" native build system files, so that they know
exactly what the deliverables are and don't think they're supposed to
sue me.  8-)  If the client insisted that the native builds had to be
standalone, that having to install CMake is a dealbreaker, then I'd
research the capability more thoroughly.  I'd figure out what it would
take to guarantee it in the real world, and pitch / bill accordingly.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every