[CMake] ADA language

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Jul 25 11:19:10 EDT 2007

On 2007-07-25 11:49+0200 Camek, Alexander wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Thanks for your help.
> It works all now fine. Ass on my head, I have forgotten to enable the Ada language.
> Now it finds all the things correct.
>
> What I can say, it seems to work all correct under Windows MinGW.

That is excellent news since it means we now have three completely different
platforms (Linux, Mac OS X, and MinGW) where the Ada language modules work.
Thanks very much for sticking with this, and figuring out how to make it
work.  It is always some little thing that causes trouble, but the
difficultly is finding it. :-)

> One other wish. Is it possible to change the <TARGET_BASE>.abs to
<SOURCES> in order to allow out-of-source builds in the future. Because when
I run an out-of-source build, then <TARGET_BASE> is normmaly the
binary_dir/Name-of-Executable. With <SOURCE> you could specify the main adb
file with its path.

For the reasons behind this decision, see the mailing list thread
culminating in
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cmake/2007-February/013035.html. Also,
please have a look at the commentary in CMakeAdaInformation.cmake which
covers much of the same material.

It is going to require changes to the internals of CMake to avoid these
complications, but at this stage I am not sure exactly what to ask for, and
if you follow the rules in the commentary, the out-of-source builds work
fine.  (I don't ever do in-source builds using CMake because I like to keep
my source tree clean.) In particular, look at all the LINK_FLAGS that we set
up in
http://plplot.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/plplot/trunk/examples/ada/CMakeLists.txt?view=markup
to get the out-of-source builds to work.  Are you using those flags when you
do your own out-of-source builds?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).