[CMake] Fwd: [Chicken-users] does adding numbers stop spam?

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 10:30:44 EDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mario Domenech Goulart <mario at ucpel.tche.br>
Date: 21 Jul 2007 08:33:54 -0300
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] does adding numbers stop spam?
To: Brandon Van Every <bvanevery at gmail.com>
Cc: chicken <chicken-users at nongnu.org>

Hi Brandon,

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:35:09 -0400 "Brandon Van Every"
<bvanevery at gmail.com> wrote:

> Making a wiki users add some numbers before they commit an edit was
> instituted as an anti-spam measure.  Did it work?  I ask because the
> CMake authors recently adopted a draconian restriction on their bug
> tracker, that only the reporter and the owner of a bug would be able
> to make changes to it.  Pretty bad idea I think, so I'm wondering if
> the adding numbers trick solved the spam problem.

I think the combination of simple arithmetic problems and the locking
of the main page has helped to block spam (maybe spammers give up
after failing to mess up the main page?).

It's been pretty effective.  In the past we had to revert spam at
least twice a day.  Now it's been quite rare.

Best wishes,
Mario