[CMake] 2.4.7 does not preserve symbolic links in the source distribution tarball

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Jul 19 19:14:47 EDT 2007

I have some relatively large data directories in my source tree which tend
to be symlinked four different ways in the source tree to save disk space.

However, the source distribution tarball generated by

make package_source

is essentially 5 times too large because the symlinks are replaced with
(redundant) real directories and files.

I believe this is a bug/misfeature in 2.4.7 since symlinks should just be
propagated from the source tree to the source distribution tarball (to save
download bandwidth of the tarball and the user's disk space.) I don't know
whether this issue occurs for older versions of CMake since I have never
before had symlinks in the source tree to contend with.

If somebody can come up with a quick fix, I would be glad to test it out.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).