[CMake] cmake build using msvc2005

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri Jul 13 13:17:51 EDT 2007

Olaf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> once more I tried to compile cmake using VS Express (the environment is
> working, did compile Xerces etc.). To compile cmake I use the
> precompiled version from webpage:
>
> c:\cpp\bin\cmake -G "Visual Studio 8 2005"
> -- Check for working C compiler: cl
> CMake Error: Generator: execution of make failed. Make command was:
> C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Common7\IDE\VCEXPR~1.EXE\VCExpress.exe
> CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.sln /build Debug /project cmTryCompileExec
> -- Check for working C compiler: cl -- broken
> CMake Error: The C compiler "cl" is not able to compile a simple test
> program.
> It fails with the following output:
>  Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht finden
> Generator: execution of make failed. Make command was:
> C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Common7\IDE\VCEXPR~1.EXE\VCExpress.exe
> CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.sln /build Debug /project cmTryCompileExec
> CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
> -- Configuring done
>
> The win Gui cmakesetup shows an error that CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM isn't found.
>
> Well, after some hours I know more ;-)
>
> The way to find the VCExpress Exe in CMakeVC8FindMake won't work. I
> renamed VCEpress.exe to devenv.{exe|manifest} and changed the search order:
>
> FIND_PROGRAM(CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM
>   NAMES devenv VCExpress
>   PATHS
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\8.0\\Setup\\VS;EnvironmentDirectory]
>  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\8.0\\Setup;Dbghelp_path]
>   "$ENV{ProgramFiles}/Microsoft Visual Studio .NET/Common7/IDE"
>   "$ENV{ProgramFiles}/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/Common7/IDE"
>   "$ENV{ProgramFiles}/Microsoft Visual Studio8/Common7/IDE"
>   "$ENV{ProgramFiles} (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio .NET/Common7/IDE"
>   "$ENV{ProgramFiles} (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/Common7/IDE"
>   "$ENV{ProgramFiles} (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio8/Common7/IDE"
>   "/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/Common7/IDE/"
>   )
> MARK_AS_ADVANCED(CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM)
> SET(MSVC80 1)
>
> Now it's working!:

I am confused here....   All you did was put devenv in front of
VCExpress?

But in the cache you sent later you have this:

//make program
CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM:FILEPATH=C:/PROGRA~1/MID05A~1/Common7/IDE/VCExpress.exe

Also, this is strange, it seems to be running this:

C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Common7\IDE\VCEXPR~1.EXE\VCExpress.exe

Which is odd, it has vcexpress.exe twice?

There are lots of folks using VCExpress with CMake here at Kitware, and
it works fine.   There must be something different about your installation.

-Bill