[CMake] Bugs in cmake-2.4.6, please solve for 2.4.7

Hendrik Sattler post at hendrik-sattler.de
Mon Jul 9 16:03:33 EDT 2007

Am Montag 09 Juli 2007 21:39 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> On Monday 09 July 2007 15:22, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> > Am Montag 09 Juli 2007 14:59 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:
> > > I am currently writing CMakeLists.txt files for an autotools project.
> > > I found several bugs while doing that and I want to share them with
> > > you:
> >
> > The first two issues are already solved in CVS.
>
> Did you check HEAD or the 2.4 branch ?
> You can try 2.4.7 RC11 which you can find at

I checked out CMake-2-4 from CVS which calles itself as
"cmake version 2.4-patch 7 RC-11"

> > > 3. install( TARGET foo ..... OPTIONAL ) always builds foo on "make
> > > install" although foo is marked as EXCLUDE_FROM_ALL and OPTIONAL should
> > > not care if it wasn't already built. Work-around for executables is to
> > > use
> > > install( PROGRAMS ${foo_EXECUTABLE} ..... OPTIONAL ) instead but that
> > > doesn't work for libraries (hint: rpath)
> >
> > This got even stranger by now, introducing yet another bug:
> >   running only "make install" without a prior "make" fails to build a
> > static library target dependency.

Point 3 is actually my main concern.

> > > 4. I copied FindPkgConfig.cmake to use it with 2.4.6 but it misses one
> > > small feature: a variable with the path (relative to
> > > CMAKE_INSTALL_PATH) where to install pkgconfig files to. This may have
> > > uncommon places although it's usually ${prefix}/share/pkgconfig.
> >
> > Still there.
>
> Where to install your own pkgconfig files ?
> I think you have to decide this yourself, probably in most cases to
> DESTINATION share/pkgconfig/.
> Can you please explain a bit more what you'd like to have ?

The pkg-config manpage lists several directories in PKG_CONFIG_PATH,
conditionally overriden by PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR. If the latter is set,
installing to one in PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR might be more feasable.
Or is "share/pkgconfig" always the right choice?

> > > 5. There is absolutely no information about the component stuff. How
> > > can I use it or can only cpack do that?
> >
> > Still there.
>
> AFAICT this is not yet finished/intended for public use.

Ok.
Even that would be a valid documentation (saves people the time to search for
one).

HS