[CMake] New Eclipse/Cmake Tutorial.. With Pictures

Trevor Kellaway tkellaway at asl-electronics.co.uk
Sun Jul 8 06:00:08 EDT 2007

Mike,

> You are correct in the sense that an external build is not
> _technically_ required because make should pick up the
> changes to the CMakeLists.txt file and rerun cmake, then make.

Absolutely, I think it is important to emphasise this point, as most of
the CMake newbies I've dealt with don't realise this, hence it would be
good to explain when/why you need the external tool.

>    What happens (probably because I am not using CMake completely
> correctly) is that sometimes I want to blow away the "Build"
> directory entirely (CVS operations, cleaning the build out,
> etc, etc) and then invoke the initial cmake from Eclipse.

Exactly, nothing wrong with this approach, I also tend to regularly do
this after making major edits to CMakeLists.txt to check I can build OK
from a totally empty build tree.

> On a slightly similar topic I tried the Eclipse + CDT + MinGW
> that Doug Schaefer put together for windows. The first
> glaring omission was the CVS plugin that usually ships with
> Eclipse. The other "omission"
> was the CMakeEd plugin for Eclipse. Other than that the
> eclipse distro looks pretty good.

Also Subclipse, an add-in for Subversion?

FYI, my team are using CMake, Eclipse+CDT+MinGW under Windows, but cross
compiling for embedded system processors as well as the PC.

 - TrevK