[CMake] New Eclipse/Cmake Tutorial.. With Pictures

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 19:02:55 EDT 2007

On 7/7/07, Guilherme Bertuol <guilherme.bertuol at gmail.com> wrote:
> TrevK,
>
> You make a good point, but for large projects regenerate cmake profiles could
> become prohibitive for each rebuilding. Perhaps, adding an additional entry on
> the wiki page explaining your idea is the best choice.
>
> cheers,
> Guilherme
>
> 2007/7/7, Trevor Kellaway <tkellaway at asl-electronics.co.uk>:
> > Mike,
> >
> > > I finally updated the Eclipse/Cmake tutorial on the Cmake wiki page.
> > >
> > > http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Eclipse
> >
> > Excellent Wiki entry.
> >
> > FYI, a few dotted boxed entries like "2." in  "File System Setup" seem
> > to not line wrap in Firefox.
> >
> > Are you sure "Creating an External Tool to run cmake" is really
> > required? In my use of Eclipse any updates to CMakeLists.txt
> > automatically rerun cmake under make, so don't require an external tool.
> >
> > I tend to manually run the initial cmake configure from the command
> > line, then only ever use make.
> >
> >  - TrevK

You are correct in the sense that an external build is not
_technically_ required because make should pick up the changes to the
CMakeLists.txt file and rerun cmake, then make.
   What happens (probably because I am not using CMake completely
correctly) is that sometimes I want to blow away the "Build" directory
entirely (CVS operations, cleaning the build out, etc, etc) and then
invoke the initial cmake from Eclipse. Having this "external tool" is
handy in the case. I will try to update the wiki to reflect this idea.
      What I would like to have is a Terminal integration inside
eclipse that way I do not need to go out to an external terminal.

On a slightly similar topic I tried the Eclipse + CDT + MinGW that
Doug Schaefer put together for windows. The first glaring omission was
the CVS plugin that usually ships with Eclipse. The other "omission"
was the CMakeEd plugin for Eclipse. Other than that the eclipse distro
looks pretty good.

--
Mike Jackson
imikejackson _at_ gee-mail dot com