[CMake] good open source IDE

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 19:47:57 EDT 2007

Can anyone recommend a "good" open source IDE for use with CMake?
This is for C/C++ development.  "Good" probably means "plays well with
external Makefiles."  Some other qualifiers and experiences:

- I'm not interested in any flavors of Emacs or Vim.  I've used them,
a lot.  I just don't like them.  They require lotsa RTFM and poking at
configuration files.  Setting up a class browsing capability via etags
is a chore.  I like it when Things Just Work [TM] and that's not
basically the Emacs / Vim culture.

- I tried SciTE.  Didn't even get to building anything, really.  It
was doing a bad job indenting my code, and I don't want to deal with
an IDE that can't do that corrrectly out of the box.  Sure if I futzed
with some settings and addons, I believe I could make it work
properly.  I have before, but then I got distracted with other things.

- I just tried Code::Blocks with MinGW.  Using it on its own terms,
with its own project files, seems like a pretty nice alternative to
MSVC.  But using external makefiles with CMake really didn't work.
Seems like Code::Blocks is hardwiring the Debug/whatever
Release/whatever mentality, and it doesn't play with CMake-generated
makefile targets.  Judging by their mailing list, the development
energy goes into the Code::Blocks project files, not makefiles.  I bet
it wouldn't take much work to properly support Code::Blocks, but
that's not work I wish to undertake right now.  I could try importing
a CMake generated Visual Studio file.  It seemed to handle "ordinary"
MSVC files just fine, but my suspicion is it'll get all the absolute
paths wrong and otherwise blow up.

- maybe setting up Eclipse is the ticket, based on recent posts, but
I'm reticent.  Not sure I want to deal with a learning curve there,
but maybe I should try.

- I'm wondering if there are IDEs in the KDE universe that play well
with CMake and external makefiles?  Dumping Windows in favor of Linux
is a viable option, if there's an IDE in KDE-land that's "worth it."

- I just want to code in C++.  I don't want to deal with the quirks of
IDEs.  Consequently, I've gone back to Visual Studio for now.  But in
the future, I don't want to keep up with MSVC anymore.  So, I'm
looking for a Visual Studio replacement, something of similar quality.
 I'd say both Eclipse and Code::Blocks are of that quality, but
neither work well "off the shelf" with CMake yet.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every