[CMake] two questions regarding MSVC6 projects

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Jan 23 10:01:04 EST 2007

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> see subject.
>
> 1) Is it possible to force a different compiler than cl.exe into a MSVC 6 project ? Setting the CMAKE_C_COMPILER variable in the cmake file doesn't have this effect.

MSVC 6 is done with templates.  To change the compiler, I would guess
you would have to change the templates in the Templates directory.
> 2) I have a custom command which calls sh -c "...lengthy cygwin command".
> When trying to build this in MSVC6 it says that there's an error executing cmd.exe, but not much more. Is there a way to find out more what it did and why it failed ?

Most likely the problem is that the command line is too long.   MSVC 6
has a very short limit since it uses cmd.exe 255 chars or something like
that.   It will have to be changed to a sh -f somefile.sh