[CMake] Getting Cmake not to fill in Project Dependencies for a target (VS7/VS8)

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Mon Jan 22 13:12:00 EST 2007

Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Philip Lowman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is a way to have CMake not fill in the
>> Project Dependencies for a particular target in Visual Studio 7/8?
>>
>> I realize this seems contrary to common sense, but when you have 40
>> projects that your target depends on and you're building a static
>> binary it's really annoying to have to deal with Visual's slow target
>> up-to-date check.  Often we like to just build library "A" and then
>> build static binary "B" to workaround the slowness (but if the Project
>> Dependencies are filled out for static binary "B" to depend on a bunch
>> of libraries it triggers the up-to-date check on all libraries).
>>
> You can always right click on the project and select the build this one
> only option.

Ah, I don't use VS8 that often and didn't know it had this feature.  VS7
  unfortunately doesn't have this option.

On a second look, however, I noticed an option in VS7 that I hadn't seen
before which should work fine 99% of the time: "Link".  The sole
exception would be recompilations of the static binary (which are very
rare for us).

Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Philip Lowman
Simulation Development Engineer, Modeling and Simulation Technology