[CMake] HowTo 'Getting Started Cross compilation with cmake' needed

Peter Soetens peter.soetens at fmtc.be
Fri Jan 19 08:11:44 EST 2007

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 16:37, Claus Klein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tested cmake to build packages on a i386/linux host for PPC targed.
> I found only one hint in http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Useful_Variables
> about cross-compile.
>
> In my opinion, we need something like:
>  "Getting Started Cross compilation with Autoconf/Libtool"
> http://www.stlinux.com/docs/getting_started-1.0/autoconf_cross_compile.php3
> see too:
> http://www.stlinux.com/docs/getting_started-1.0/gtk2_cross_compile.php3

I second that !  I guess you've seen this page:
<http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/~bellet/creatis/cygwin/cross.html>

> I miss some features needed for cross-compiling, linking and installing to
> a stage dir. The PKGCONFIG(package includedir libdir linkflags cflags),
> for example, the --define-variable option can't be used.
> pkg-config(1) support that:
>
> P3linux:/etc/apt # PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/tools/build_i386/root/lib/pkgconfig
> pkg-config  --print-errors --define-variable=prefix=/tools/build_i386/root/
> --cflags --libs dbus-1 -I/tools/build_i386/root//include/dbus-1.0
> -I/tools/build_i386/root//lib/dbus-1.0/include
> -L/tools/build_i386/root//lib -ldbus-1
>
> P3linux:/etc/apt # pkg-config  --print-errors  --cflags --libs dbus-1
> -I/usr/local/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/local/lib/dbus-1.0/include
> -L/usr/local/lib -ldbus-1

I agree here as well. PKGCONFIG support in cmake is work in progress though.

> It is important that installation to a stage dir works:
> buildir # make DESTDIR=/tmp/wzdftpd install
>
> and I want to be able to uninstall it again:
> buildir # make DESTDIR=/tmp/wzdftpd uninstall
>
> (see attachment; ck)

Thanks for this patch ! I've updated the wiki with your changes
<http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ#Can_I_do_.22make_uninstall.22_with_CMake.3F>

> As a last point, it wout be nice if cmake generates  makefiles according
> to: http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Makefile-Conventions
>
> I think, most people expect this as common standard, or not?

This is a major issue (read:disagreement) on this list. I expected this as
well, but the cmake team has their own reasoning.

> For me, cmake is a good tool, but if more project change to it without
> care, the embeded world will become more problems!

They're the victim of their success :-)

Peter
--
Peter Soetens -- FMTC -- <http://www.fmtc.be>