[CMake] "NMake Makefiles" generator complains about missing internal variable CMAKE_RC_LINK_EXECUTABLE

Gerhard Grimm ggrimm at detec.de
Wed Jan 10 06:09:06 EST 2007

Hello there,

using CMake 2.4.5 on Windows, I'm trying to build a resource-only executable
(required for Windows Installer setup authoring).
My source directory contains an icon resource "test.ico", a resource script
"test.rc" and a "CMakeLists.txt" file:

include(AddFileDependencies)

add_executable(test test.rc)
add_file_dependencies(test.rc test.ico)
set_target_properties(test
                      PROPERTIES LINK_FLAGS "/DLL /NOENTRY")

Running 'cmake -G "NMake Makefiles" .' in the source directory yields the
output:

[...compiler checks skipped here...]
-- Configuring done
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be
 built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_RC_LINK_EXECUTABLE
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: D:/Projekte/CMake_bug

The very same CMakeLists.txt works with the generator for Visual Studio .NET
projects, and "text.exe" can be built successfully.

Can I set the missing internal variable by myself, and if yes,
what would I need to set it to?

Best regards,

Gerhard