[CMake] Newbie question

Tristan Carel tristan.carel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 20:25:06 EST 2007

Hi Kevin,

The problem comes from the `PROJECT' command: put some quotes on the
project name otherwise CMake understands that you want to use the
language `Prog' on a new project named `Test'. That is why CMake is
trying to open the file CMakeProgCompiler.cmake as there are
`CMakeJavaCompiler.cmake' , `CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake'  ...

You don't need to specify a second parameter, CMake is smart enough to
automagically look for your C compiler.

Besides, as `MyProj' executable doesn't need to be linked against
external libraries, using the `TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES' command is not
necessary in this case.

I have never experimented a CMake project whose name contains spaces
characters but it should work. In case it doesn't, just name the
project `TestProg'

Bye the way, good choice to experiment this tool, it really worths to
spend several hours to understand the philosophy and be used to the
syntax. You should browse the CMake Wiki, especially the FAQ, this is
a mine of mandatory information for new CMake users.

CU

On 2/6/07, Kevin Tucker <ktucker at birdstep.com> wrote:

> I've been doing a lot of reading and yet, I don't seem to be able to get
> even the simplest project to work.  I tried searching the cmake list
> archives, but couldn't find anything helpful.
>

> I'm on Win2k3 and cmake 2.4.6(used the windows installer) and visual studio
> .NET 2003.
>

> My test.c file is:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>

> int main()
>
> {
>
>             printf("Hello, World!");
>
> }
>

> My CMakeLists.txt file is:
>
> PROJECT(Test Prog)
>
> ADD_EXECUTABLE(MyProg test.c)
>
> TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES( MyProg )
>

> I continually get these errors:
>
> C:\projects\test>cmake .
>
> CMake Error: cmListFileCache: error can not open file C:/projects/test
>
> CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:
>
> CMake Error: Could not find cmake module
> file:C:/projects/test/CMakeFiles/CMakeProgCompiler.cmake
>
> CMake Error: cmListFileCache: error can not open file C:/projects/test
>
> CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:
>
> CMake Error: cmListFileCache: error can not open file C:/projects/test
>
> CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:
>
> n       Configuring done
>

> I get those errors even when using the GUI through cmakesetup.
>

> What am I doing wrong????
>

> Kevin

Tristan Carel
Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.
http://www.tristan-carel.com