[CMake] Undocumented magic required for installing globbed files

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Feb 1 13:20:52 EST 2007

On 2007-02-01 09:20-0500 David Cole wrote:

> On 1/31/07, Alan W. Irwin <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
>> Sorry, I should have made clear in my original post that the files I was
>> globbing are generated at "make" time.[...]

> Have you tried the "INSTALL(DIRECTORY" form of the INSTALL command...? Not
> sure which patch it was introduced in, but it is definitely in 2.4.5 and
> later...

Hi David:

Thanks very much for pointing out that powerful new functionality which
exactly solves my problem.  I just quickly checked the release announcements
that Bill sent to this list, and I couldn't find anything related to this
new functionality.  'cmake --help-full' version 2.4.3 does not document this
so it must have been introduced for either 2.4.4 or 2.4.5.

Of course, it is difficult to remember to mention everything new in a
hand-crafted release announcement, but I think it would be a nice idea for
the CMake developers to run a diff between results from old and new 'cmake
--help-full' commands and publish that diff as an automatic part of the
release process.

I just did that for 2.4.6 versus 2.4.3 (using diff --unified=20 to give lots
of context for changes), and the results show the _large_ number of
improvements that have been made to CMake since 2.4.3.  OTOH, 2.4.6 versus
2.4.5 shows no changes to the documentation which indicates 2.4.6 must have
been mostly about bug fixing rather than new core features or new modules
(or new documentation).

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).