[CMake] Re: General modernization facility

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 19:10:47 EST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 6:43 PM, Rodolfo Lima <rodolfo at rodsoft.org> wrote:
> Brandon Van Every escreveu:
>
> > But old scripts don't do that.  One could do it for new scripts, but
> > old scripts are what they are.  Also, I don't necessarily want my
> > script to be limited to CMake's behavior when I wrote it.
>
> That would be easy to cope with, no version specification = 2.4.7.

If it actually works under 2.4.7 and doesn't need some other earlier
version to function with.

> And when you write a script, you would set the version to the current
> version you're testing on. That would guarantee that this script will
> ALWAYS work, no matter how cmake evolves. That's a good deal.

What if 2.4.7 ships with an arguably bad behavior, 2.4.8 fixes it, and
my code is stuck with the 2.4.7 behavior because you didn't think
anyone was ever supposed to avail themselves of improvements?

Cheers,
Brandon