[CMake] Creation of CMAKE_*_LIBRARY_EXTENSION

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 08:11:42 EST 2007

On Dec 16, 2007 10:04 PM, Rodolfo Lima <rodolfo at rodsoft.org> wrote:
> I've been playing around with bug #5997 and I've found out the problem,
> which lies in the fact that when the user sees the variable
> CMAKE_(STATIC|SHARED|IMPORT)_LIBRARY_SUFFIX, he assumes that this is
> something to be added to the library name (doesn't involve its
> extension). But cmake assumes that this is the library's extension.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to create a CMAKE_*_LIBRARY_EXTENSION to have
> either '.lib' or '.a', and let CMAKE_*_LIBRARY_SUFFIX just be what its
> name means? For cmake, the library name (including extension) would be:
>
> ${CMAKE_*_LIBRARY_PREFIX}${libname}${CMAKE_*_LIBRARY_SUFFIX}${CMAKE_*_LIBRARY_EXTENSION)

Backwards compatibility sez we're stuck with CMAKE_*_LIBRARY_SUFFIX
meaning what it currently means.  CMAKE_*_LIBRARY_EXTENSION could be a
documented synonym for it.  CMAKE_*_LIBRARY_SUFFIX could be moved to
the depreciated section of the docs, but its behavior would remain
unaltered.

CMAKE_*_LIBRARY_POSTFIX could serve the purpose of "_d" and so forth.
This is parallel with the meaning of <CONFIG>_POSTFIX in the docs.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every