[CMake] --enable-* with cmake

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 13:52:44 EDT 2007

On 8/9/07, Olivier Delannoy <olivier.delannoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Instead of adding a new series of option to the cmake tool, why not
> adding a convenient script generated based on the content of
> CMakeLists files that is called configure and follow the autoconf way
> of things. This can be a macro which is used when CPack is used or
> something like that.

Because we shouldn't be training people to type ./configure
indefinitely.  We should be training them to use CMake, get them to
move on from the Autoconf world.  A ./configure script that says
"dude, you have to type CMake blah blah blah to get what you want"
would make more sense.

But, it is inappropriate to grab the "configure" filename space.
There are projects out there in the process of migration, that have
both an Autoconf and a CMake build.  Chicken Scheme is one of them.
http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org  They're probably going
to drag their feet about moving on for a looong time.  They just don't
seem to have an incentive to ditch Autoconf, and they aren't doing
enough build maintenance to realize the foolishness of maintaining 2
builds.  My "plan" is simply to refuse to do anything with the
Autoconf stuff.  Maybe it will wither away.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every