[CMake] CMake and portable dynamic library loading?

Alexandre Courbot gnurou at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 11:50:48 EDT 2006

> cmake --help-command add_library
> cmake version 2.5-20060930
>   ADD_LIBRARY
>        Add a library to the project using the specified source files.
>
>          ADD_LIBRARY(libname [SHARED | STATIC | MODULE]
>                      source1 source2 ... sourceN)
>
>        Adds a library target.  SHARED, STATIC or MODULE keywords are used to
>        set the library type.  If the keyword MODULE appears, the library
> type
>        is set to MH_BUNDLE on systems which use dyld.  On systems without
>        dyld, MODULE is treated like SHARED.  If no keywords appear as the
>        second argument, the type defaults to the current value of
>        BUILD_SHARED_LIBS.  If this variable is not set, the type defaults to
>        STATIC.

Sure, (and yes, I HAVE read the manual ;)) however that doesn't allow
you to portably-load your modules.

But thanks to Thomas Arcila who replied privately (oh, and Alan too),
I realized that one can use libltdl without compiling your modules
with libtool. Doing so, the problem should be solved, although I have
to test this on various platforms to check whether it works
everywhere.

Alex.