[CMake] Re: TRY_COMPILE painful for tool testing

Arjen Markus arjen.markus at wldelft.nl
Thu Sep 21 02:36:36 EDT 2006

Brad King wrote:

>Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>

>>I think the result is, quotes and backslashes cannot be reliably escaped
>>with respect to macro wrappers for ADD_CUSTOM_TARGET.  Thus it is not
>>possible to write a macro that will TRY_COMPILE an arbitrary COMMAND.
>>
>>So the feature that I would like, is a TRY_COMMAND that produces, in the
>>native shell, whatever you actually give it for command arguments.  The
>>interface should be:
>>
>>  TRY_COMMAND(RESULT_VAR <arbitrary commands with quotes, backslashes,
>>semicolons, and whitespace>)
>>

>What is an example command you want to test that is having problems?

I am running into very similar problems with the Compaq Visual Fortran
compiler on Windows:

When CMake tests if this is an acceptable compiler, the
generated makefile contains partly Windows-style paths (c:\...) and
partly UNIX-style (c:/....).

CVF is confused by these forward slashes as they are used to indicate
compiler flags. The (first step in the) solution would be to consistently
use native paths - <OBJECT> as used in the compilation macros in particular.

I have not discovered a method to circumvent this <OBJECT> problem - the
value is not accessible in the CMakeListst.txt files.

Regards,

Arjen