Fwd: [CMake] Adding cross-compiler support to CMake ... (fwd)

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 04:32:28 EDT 2006

Arjen Markus wrote:

>> What do you mean "merely" needs a shell interpreter?  For a fair chunk
>> of embedded devices out there, that's tantamount to saying that the
>> Titanic "merely" needs to pull into port.  There are 3 cases for
>> embedded devices:
>>
>> - systems with a Bourne shell and ccmake available
>> - systems with a Bourne shell available
>> - systems without any kind of shell, or really any kind of resources
>>
>> Yes, Autoconf has more cross-compilation reach than CMake at present,
>> but it hardly covers everything.
>>

> Don't forget all those PCs with Windows installed but no Cygwin or MingW:
> they simply can not use the configure scripts. Of course, one can require
> these users to install Cygwin or MingW, but what is that different from
> installing CMake?

The level of pain.  Cygwin is easy.  It just takes a lot more MB of
downloads to have a working system, than to grab CMake.  Or, uh, you can
grab the CMake that's in Cygwin.  :-)

MinGW / MSYS has become *awful* if you're trying to get Autoconf going.
I spent an entire day on it recently and almost gave up.  The only thing
that saved my ass was a rogue 3rd party project called mingw-install.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-install  It *nukes* the whole MSYS
mess and puts in a bunch of stuff that actually works, with the most
current versions of Autoconf and whatnot.  There's a whole pile of
integration issues that MSYS hasn't dealt with, they're too lazy.
They're laboring under the delusion that their MinGWPort stuff actually
works, when in fact it's quite broken.  I don't have time to rag on them
on their mailing list about it.  I just use mingw-install and sing its
praises.  Better comment out those "rm -r" lines though!  Everything
worked fine once I dropped my own compiler in afterwards.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every