Fwd: [CMake] Adding cross-compiler support to CMake ... (fwd)

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 15:55:56 EDT 2006

Michael Casadevall wrote:

>> My intent here is not to start a flamewar between autotools and
>> cmake, In some cases, autotools is the proper tool vs cmake due to
>> cross-compiling (which will hopefully fixed) and the fact that you
>> need the cmake executable to build any CMake package. autotools
>> configure script merely needs a shell interpreter,

What do you mean "merely" needs a shell interpreter?  For a fair chunk
of embedded devices out there, that's tantamount to saying that the
Titanic "merely" needs to pull into port.  There are 3 cases for
embedded devices:

- systems with a Bourne shell and ccmake available
- systems with a Bourne shell available
- systems without any kind of shell, or really any kind of resources

Yes, Autoconf has more cross-compilation reach than CMake at present,
but it hardly covers everything.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every