[CMake] building executable from static libs

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 01:13:00 EDT 2006

Benjamin Roy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First thanks for your support!
>
> I choose to respond on your mail in order to not abuse of the mailing
> list :-) , I let you determine if you want  publish this mail on the
> mailing list or not!
>
> >>I'd be interested to know if you find my build to be helpful or not
> helpful for your problems getting started.  It is supposed to function
> as a tutorial.
>
> Yes your build give me the exact clues i need to solve my issue, I
> think it's a wonderful example to show how to use Cmake for complex
> build, very useful in fact cause it make me save a lot of time...
> And I'll certainly have to refer to it for the next step of my build,
> I wonder why I haven't find it sooner!

Hrm.  I did file an extensive wiki entry under "Projects that use CMake."
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Projects
I see that for a supposedly 1st class tutorial entry, this is an
inadequate filing.  I've now also filed it under the CMake Tutorials
section, http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake#CMake
I hope that now, more people will run into it, and I'll get more
feedback on it.  I won't apologize for looking like a relative wiki
space hog.  I think all the Tutorials should have descriptions of what
they cover.  If other Tutorial authors want to add more description to
their wiki entries, that would be most welcome.

Also, CMake 2.4.4 will have pointers in the docs to the online
resources, so that should help with dissemination of tutorials in general.

> >>I'd be interested to know to what degree the standard / typical
> CMake docs are / are not useful.
>
> The doc on cmake.org is useful, no problem whith this, but I think
> there's just a little lack of more complex example (like yours) to
> really understand how make complex build. Generally I take a look on
> the cvs repository of complex apply as VTK, and i try to understand
> how it work with the doc. But this example aren't well documented, so
> sometimes it's pretty hard to understand how it work. This is  not the
> case of your example which is oriented in a tutorial way...
>
> Change the build system from automake/autoconf to Cmake for the
> project I work on it, come from me, so I have to prove that Cmake is
> efficient with short deadlines...
>
> Anyway, I can give you a more complete feed back soon as I finish my
> build system with Cmake, if you are interested in this!

Sure, would be very interested to hear it!

> Cheers,
>
> Benjamin.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every