[CMake] Studio 8 generation of files doesn't use CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS?

Clinton Chau clinton at clearcanvas.ca
Thu Nov 30 12:37:30 EST 2006

Hi Brad,

I had a follow up question about this...

> > You're right, that property is being set in the CMakeList.txt file.
> >
> > Given this, how should you make CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS available to the user
> for
> > modification in CMakeSetup.exe, without setting the value in
> CMakeLists.txt?
> > That is, I always want the user to be able to customize the compiler
> flags,
> > so I always want it to show up in the GUI (if only as an Advanced
> setting).
>
> It is presented by default.  If you're trying to add flags just do
>
> SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -my-new-flag")
>
> Then the user-set value will be used and your project's special extra
> flags will be added.

Without distributing a CMakeCache.txt file, how would I go accomplishing
this example:

I'd like

(1) CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS to use "/nologo /W3 /GX /Gy /YX", instead of the
defaults that are provided by CMake.
(2) At the same time, I want these flags to be presented visibly to the user
in the CMake GUI.
(3) Finally, I want any changes to these flags to be used in the actual
project make files that are generated.

It's clear to me that for #3, I use SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS
"${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS}"). It's not clear to me how to accomplish #1 and #2 at
the same time.

Thanks,
Clinton Chau