[CMake] CMake Build References

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Nov 29 20:14:26 EST 2006

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Von: "Brian Little" <brian.little at emergent.net>
>

>> I am somewhat new to CMake, but have delved into it pretty hard over the
>> last
>> couple months and have a couple questions for the group.
>>

>> Is there a flag or means to:
>>
>> 1)       Not have Makefiles use CMake callback commands
>>
>> 2)       Create VC Solutions that use only relative paths
>>
>> 3)       Have CMake generate VC Solutions with the same GUIDs each time
>>
>> 4)       Not have VC Solutions contain CMake build steps to regenerate
>>          the build if the CMake files change
>>

> See CMAKE_SUPPRESS_REGENERATION at http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Useful_Variables#Various_Options , this should help for 1) and 4).
>

>> The main reason for this is we want to be able to generate build files
>> that we can send to a customer without requiring them to use CMake.  We
>> like it, but we cannot guarantee that all our customers will want to use
>> it.  So we want to be able strip all CMake references from the build
>> files before we ship.
>>

> You could even distribute CMake alongside with your own software.
>
> Bye
> Alex

You can also see this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/cmake@cmake.org/msg04041.html

Basically, you can turn these on:
CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATHS and CMAKE_SUPPRESS_REGENERATION

Although it will not work for all cases, it might work for you.  Your
customers may have stuff
installed in different places, in which case it will all fail.   The
customer might also want to change
versions of visual studio in the future.  CMake will let them switch at
any time...

-Bill