[CMake] Re: a ./configure shell script stub (William A. Hoffman)

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Wed May 31 08:46:34 EDT 2006

At 07:20 PM 5/30/2006, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>James Mansion wrote:
>>>
>>>For those that run Windows (and don't have the unixtools installed) the
>>>preferred interface is a GUI anyway.
>>>

>>I don't think that's a good assumption.  Windows has a command interpreter
>>(and in my experience people erroneously believe CMD.EXE is as limited as
>>COMMAND.COM without having looked at recent enhancements) plus the WSH
>>stuff which works well enough too.
>>
>>Its quite handy to drive things from timmed commands or remotely via
>>a web or RPC interface.
>>

>Well, I use MSYS.  Me no speaka CMD.EXE.  For many years, there was no point as generally one needed one's .bat files to run everywhere.  Maybe now command.com is finally at death's door?  Still, I'm having a hard time believing there's any "command line culture" on Windows.  It may not be a strictly correct assumption, but I'd wager that 99% of Windozian programmers don't do any CMD.EXE scripting.  Compare that to Unix where almost everyone knows some shell scripting.
Whether it is command.com or msys or cygwin, there are a number of developers on
windows that will use the command line.   If we can provide a consistent interface across
unix and windows, without using shell all the better.  If a project wants to create
a shell script that calls cmake, they can do that right now with no changes needed
to cmake.

-Bill